What Should You Do If Your Spouse Serves You With Unexpected Divorce Papers?

Posted on: 2 September 2022

You might have been happy with your marriage and might have thought that your spouse felt the same way. Now, though, you might have been surprised because your spouse might have had you served with divorce papers. This can be a difficult situation to be in, and you are probably unsure of what you are supposed to do. These are some of the steps that you will probably want to take if you have unexpectedly found out that your spouse wants a divorce.

Hire a Divorce Lawyer 

First and foremost, if your spouse has taken this step, there is a very good chance that they are already working with a divorce lawyer. This can put you at a disadvantage if you don't have a lawyer of your own. Now is a good time to start talking to a good divorce lawyer in your area so you will be legally represented. Your lawyer can explain to you a little more about what is going on, what to expect, what your next steps should be, and more.

Gather Documentation and Evidence

It's a good idea to gather any and all documentation and evidence that you can about your marriage when you're in this situation. If you have evidence that your spouse has been unfaithful to you, you should keep this evidence. Now is also a good time to start gathering information about the assets that you and your spouse have, the money that you have in your combined and separate checking accounts, and more. It's also a good idea to save any text messages, call logs, or emails that involve communication with your spouse. Once you have gathered this evidence, you should share it with your lawyer.

Start Making a Plan

It's understandable that you don't know what your next steps will be if you weren't planning on getting a divorce. However, you will now need to start making a plan for your future. Now is a good time to start thinking about where you are going to live, for example.

Seek Therapy

Realizing that your spouse no longer wants to be married to you anymore can be very upsetting. It's understandable if you might need to talk to a professional so that you can sort through your feelings. Luckily, there are therapists out there who commonly help people who are dealing with these types of situations and scheduling an appointment with one of these professionals could probably really help you out.

Consult a divorce attorney to learn more.